As Head of the Wills and Probate team at Redkite Solicitors, it’s my job to make sure that we always meet the high standards that we set ourselves.
This is not about tick boxes - it's about understanding people and taking time to properly understand what someone is trying to achieve. My clients often need to chat about their relationships with family and friends and who they want to leave gifts to: sometimes it’s the first time they have said it out loud!
We try to make drawing up a Will for the first time, or amending your Will, as easy for you as possible. Drafting Wills is part of our everyday activities so you can rest assured we have come across your situation before and have a tailor made solution for you. We also have a guide that deals with regular questions that we are asked by clients.
As the lead partner for my Department, I deal with estates from the straightforward to multi -million pound values, including many with a business property or agricultural element.
I particularly enjoy dealing with agricultural estates as I come from a farming background and therefore am able to empathise with the issues that farming families face, particularly on succession or death.
In 2017 I was pleased to qualify as a full member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners , the quality mark for persons undertaking this area of work, and am now able to use the designation “TEP” after my name.
My experience of estates is extensive and includes dealing with the most straightforward to very complex cases. Particular areas of my experience include
- acting as an executor
- administering estates with claims for business property relief, agricultural property relief and the residence nil rate band
- contentious issues including estates with claims under the inheritance (provisos for dependents) Act 1975
- completing deeds of variation both from a pure redirection and a tax planning point of view
- reporting of lifetime gifts to HMRC
- winding up of trusts
- charity estates
- limited grants
- complex estate accounts
- charity beneficiaries
- DWP claims
I also deal with Will drafting and Lasting Powers of Attorney, both from a financial and health and welfare perspective. Particular Will writing experience includes:-
- “house for occupation” type clauses
- Wills for farming families
- Wills with charity beneficiaries
- discretionary trust Wills with letters of wishes
- Wills where capacity is verified as part of the “golden rule”
- “second marriage” type Wills
- as a STEP member I am able to give advice in respect of the tax implications of Will drafting.
I also deal with title issues in registered and registered land and these have included:-
- first registrations
- registrations where deeds are lost or missing
- change of Trustees
- deeds of gift
I also have experience in Court of Protection work such as:-
- Deputy applications
- Applications under s36 and 54 of the Trustee Act 1925
- Applications for statutory Wills
Where possible I prefer to work alongside other advisors such as a client's Accountant or Financial Advisor as I believe it important to ensure that any actions taken are agreed and understood by all.
I am originally from St. Clears. I undertook my training at another local firm before qualifying and moving to Morris Roberts, a predecessor firm of Redkite Solicitors, in 2003. I have worked in the Private Client Department since 2004 and became a Partner in 2011.
Outside of the office I sit on the management team of the Gwili Railway, a popular not for profit attraction in Carmarthenshire and have been actively involved in successfully securing grant funding of over £130,000 to extend the line to Carmarthen itself. As a result, I have experience of setting up and registering a Charity, completion of annual returns, etc.
I live in Pembrokeshire with my wife and daughter, and enjoy eating out and keeping fit.
Generous with his time - he fully explains all situations for which I am grateful.